An interesting story in Sproting News re: non-scholarship football programs and "The Dayton Rule."
I am not advocating XU return to football (as much as I would love to see it) as there are just flat out way too many problems to overcome. Nevertheless, I think the article (if you read between the lines) shows how the BCS controlled NCAA established rules that take away from schools their choices.
An example (not a part of this story) is how the NCAA "controls" Divisions with the "attendance" and "stadium" rule. I can foresee in the not too distant future that the BCS schools will shove thru a similar rule in D-1 baseball and you will see conferences, such as the A-10, Southern, MEAC, etc, lose D-1 status. Then the BCS will trim its field to like 48 teams and keep all the moola to themselves.
Anyway, here's the SN story.
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/arti ... leid=91393
Interesting Sporting News Story
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Interesting Sporting News Story
X may have to hop on this bandwagon to avoid being left behind. And I agree with the positive effect of having a football program on the student body, even if it's not an Oklahoma-level program.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
XinAlbany
- Posts: 92
- Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:29 pm
- Contact:
Re: Interesting Sporting News Story
Boooooooooooooooo oklahoma. 
Go Big Red!!!!!! Hopefully Pelini can rebuild the program Callahan drove deep into the ground.
Go Big Red!!!!!! Hopefully Pelini can rebuild the program Callahan drove deep into the ground.
- muskieman
- Posts: 26785
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Interesting Sporting News Story
Sorry didn't read the whole article because I was laughing so hard after I read: "Dayton dropped to Division III in football but kept the rest of its athletic programs in Division I, including its highly successful men’s basketball program. "
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
MarionHall4ever
- Posts: 47
- Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:40 pm
- Contact:
Re: Interesting Sporting News Story
I had no idea this league existed. Thanks for the post.
Division I football was played at XU during my freshman and sophomore years. Financially, the school could not afford to keep the program afloat, but the team was actually pretty good the last year of its existence. If memory serves, we finished the season with a winning record and a number of the players were able to transfer to other Division I schools and keep playing.
Truth be told, the football team was better then than the basketball team was, at least until the '75-'76 hoop season. It would be a couple more years before Bob Staak arrived, but the hoops program had already bottomed out and in '75-'76 was beginning its incremental climb to mediocrity, then respectability and, eventually, quality.
Now XU is a legitimate top-25 basketball program. That's never going to happen in football, but we have taken baby steps in football with the club program over the last two years. To me, this league sounds tailor-made for the Musketeers. I sure would like to be able to travel to Cincinnati on a fall Saturday afternoon to see Xavier play football again.
If nothing else, it gives us a rooting interest in something else until basketball season starts again.
Division I football was played at XU during my freshman and sophomore years. Financially, the school could not afford to keep the program afloat, but the team was actually pretty good the last year of its existence. If memory serves, we finished the season with a winning record and a number of the players were able to transfer to other Division I schools and keep playing.
Truth be told, the football team was better then than the basketball team was, at least until the '75-'76 hoop season. It would be a couple more years before Bob Staak arrived, but the hoops program had already bottomed out and in '75-'76 was beginning its incremental climb to mediocrity, then respectability and, eventually, quality.
Now XU is a legitimate top-25 basketball program. That's never going to happen in football, but we have taken baby steps in football with the club program over the last two years. To me, this league sounds tailor-made for the Musketeers. I sure would like to be able to travel to Cincinnati on a fall Saturday afternoon to see Xavier play football again.
If nothing else, it gives us a rooting interest in something else until basketball season starts again.
“Send lawyers, guns and money. The sh*t has hit the fan.” Warren Zevon (R.I.P.)
If that fails, send the Jesuits
.
If that fails, send the Jesuits
-
Peashooter
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:20 pm
- Contact:
Re: Interesting Sporting News Story
I was there for the Tay Baker years! Man we were bad. There were two bright spots, almost beating Marquette at home and Nick Daniels! It was an easy walk from the library, anyway. Peashooter, '78
The "final cause" is the first cause in the order of causes.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Interesting Sporting News Story
Nick Daniels was one of my all-time favorite Xavier players. I remember talking to Sunderman at some postgame reception (probably in the early Gillen years), and asking what Nick would be doing at that time had he had better college coaching. Joe's response was that he'd be finishing up an NBA career.
Nick was an erratic shooter, but one of our best athletes.
Nick was an erratic shooter, but one of our best athletes.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26785
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Interesting Sporting News Story
You had me agreeing until you tried to con us in to thinking you even knew where the library was during your college career!Peashooter wrote:I was there for the Tay Baker years! Man we were bad. There were two bright spots, almost beating Marquette at home and Nick Daniels! It was an easy walk from the library, anyway. Peashooter, '78
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
Peashooter
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:20 pm
- Contact:
Re: Interesting Sporting News Story
It's a LONG walk from Dana's!muskieman wrote:You had me agreeing until you tried to con us in to thinking you even knew where the library was during your college career!Peashooter wrote:I was there for the Tay Baker years! Man we were bad. There were two bright spots, almost beating Marquette at home and Nick Daniels! It was an easy walk from the library, anyway. Peashooter, '78
The "final cause" is the first cause in the order of causes.
- muskieman
- Posts: 26785
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Interesting Sporting News Story
Now you are being more realistic!Peashooter wrote:It's a LONG walk from Dana's!muskieman wrote:You had me agreeing until you tried to con us in to thinking you even knew where the library was during your college career!Peashooter wrote:I was there for the Tay Baker years! Man we were bad. There were two bright spots, almost beating Marquette at home and Nick Daniels! It was an easy walk from the library, anyway. Peashooter, '78
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 555 guests
