Expectations

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Expectations

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:24 pm

Q, you might be right about an eventual transition from Jackson to the frosh at the point, but I hope that's not the case. It's not DJ's best position, and I don't think he'd even be as good at it as Stan was when he played minutes at the point.

Our non-conf. games give Sean a chance to develop the guy who will be handling the point as the year goes on, and, sight unseen, I hope it's Lyons or Holloway from Day 1.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
kfrease
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Expectations

Postby kfrease » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:05 pm

i think bj will definitely be starting over dante at the 2.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Expectations

Postby muskieman » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:09 pm

kfrease wrote:i think bj will definitely be starting over dante at the 2.
WHY?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
kfrease
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Expectations

Postby kfrease » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:34 pm

because he is a better player than dante and he is a senior. dante averaged 2 points per game last year and bj is a much bigger offensive threat.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Expectations

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:41 pm

I can see Raymond starting at the 2 spot, OR possibly still playing starter's minutes at both the SG and SF while backing up Jackson and Anderson.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
MillerTime
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: Expectations

Postby MillerTime » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:24 pm

wkrq59,

Your analysis bugs me in a couple spots.

-Dante will likely start at the 2, but no chance Raymond even sniffs time at the 2. Raymond has trouble guarding small fowards, let alone shooting guards. His ballhandling is a little suspect to be the secondary ballhandler. Also, backcourt is crowded as is. There are two returning shooting guards, and 3 freshman who could/will play at the SG spot.
-No chance McLean plays at the 3 spot, AT ALL. He is 6'8'' 240 players with marginal ballhandling and no jumpshot outside 15 feet. Athletic and strong though.
-Are you saying Walsh may see time at the 4? He's a 6'4" toothpick that may struggle to hold his own physically against some small fowards, let alone power forwards.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Expectations

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:41 pm

Re MillerTime's comments-

I tend to agree, but against certain lineups, BJ may see some time at the SG, but his best position is SF.

From all we've heard, McLean is a PF and that's it (other than maybe a backup at center). We've seen nothing to indicate he can play SF.

Re Walsh, he's got SF (or possibly SG) written all over him, but not PF unless we're playing an Ivy League team or some other nonscholarship club.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
wkrq59
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Expectations

Postby wkrq59 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:57 am

Traditionally, every Xavier coach since Staak has had Xavier players learning at least 2 positions, sometimes (as in the case of Byron Larkin three. (1, 2, 3).
The criticism of BJ is well taken but that is presuming he either can not or does not improve in many of those areas over the summer.
I have a hard time discounting the improvement freshmen make between their first and second year. Yes, Dante struggled when he had to spell Stanley or Drew at the point, but he learned. By the tournament, he was definitely a better player than he was at the start of the season. But he, too, should be a two.
From everything written about Walsh, about his defense, his quickness and his advanced development I see no reason even skinny or whatever he is, that he couldn't play a non-traditional four (he's supposed to be a helluva rebounder.) What happens if Xavier plays a three guard offense and needs quickness and scoring at the four?
And I can see McClean learning at least some 3 for emergency purposes only. But he should be playing the four with an occasional five.
Bottom line, Xavier's going to have a nice problem of depth. I seriously doubt Sean recruited Redford to red shirt him. Having seen the videos of the kid and his ability to launch from NBA range, I think he can be a helluva contributor right away.
Remember, Xavier has seven new players to fit in with the returning six.
I also look for Graves to be vastly improved over his freshman year(07-08) The 06-07 campaign for all intents and purposes didn't exist.
MillerTime
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: Expectations

Postby MillerTime » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:41 am

I can see where certain people think that Raymond may see time at the 2. However, I highly doubt this happens due to his two primary weaknesses as a basketball player - his defense and his ballhandling. I don't know if you guys remember the exact quote (I don't), but Raymond compared himself to a computer - in reference to how automatic of a shooter he is. Sean Miller's response to the Raymond quote was, "We are trying to teach the Computer how to play a little defense."

There is absolutely zero chance that Brian Walsh plays power foward for the Xavier Musketeers. Seriously, none. Walsh is no taller than 6'4 and 185 LBS! He's a good rebounder...for a guard. Saying he could be a power forward is like saying Kenny Frease could run the point next year.
_LH
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Expectations

Postby _LH » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:30 am

I am hoping BJ plays starter like minutes off the bench. If he does, that mean the new guys and Jackson have stepped it up.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 891 guests