Gotta Expand Recruiting

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Wisexuowl
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
Contact:

Gotta Expand Recruiting

Postby Wisexuowl » Fri May 02, 2008 10:20 am

Kentucky wants eighth grader
Posted: Friday May 02, 2008 09:28AM ET

One day. Two games. An eighth-grader competing against players 15-years-old and younger. Those factors made for perhaps the most surprising commitment in the history of Kentucky basketball. UK Coach Billy Gillispie noticed Michael Avery, an eighth-grader from Lake Sherwood, Calif., while attending a youth basketball event sponsored by LeBron James last weekend in Akron, Ohio. Less than a week later, Avery accepted Gillispie's offer of a scholarship to play for the Wildcats ... beginning with the 2012-13 season.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Gotta Expand Recruiting

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri May 02, 2008 10:22 am

I can only hope that the 8th grader didn't call a press conference to announce this news.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Gotta Expand Recruiting

Postby muskieman » Fri May 02, 2008 10:32 am

Mr. Neutral wrote:I can only hope that the 8th grader didn't call a press conference to announce this news.
I think the school has to call it and they are planning it for next week. :lol: I was good in the eighth grade...too bad that was over a hundred years ago.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
xcellent
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Gotta Expand Recruiting

Postby xcellent » Fri May 02, 2008 1:41 pm

The NBA might want to institute a rule now that kids have to play at least 2 years of high school ball before playing in the bigs.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Gotta Expand Recruiting

Postby muskieman » Fri May 02, 2008 4:00 pm

They might install the "you need a driver's license to play" rule.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
MADXSTER
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Gotta Expand Recruiting

Postby MADXSTER » Mon May 05, 2008 8:10 pm

I would love to see the kid call a news conference and commit to KY. I'd laugh my arse off.
xavierj
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Gotta Expand Recruiting

Postby xavierj » Mon May 05, 2008 11:16 pm

KY got a freshman from Greenfield Mcclain today (same school as Dante). Billy G seems a little strange when it comes to recruiting.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Gotta Expand Recruiting

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed May 14, 2008 11:58 am

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedit ... 051.column

The LA times weighs in on UK's getting this commitment from an 8th-grader.

(1) What are the odds that this commitment actually turns into an LOI?

(2) Does this give Gillespie the chance to say he shouldn't be let go until his latest class has a chance to show up???
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 747 guests