OT: Neither of these teams is very good

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

OT: Neither of these teams is very good

Postby Mr. Neutral » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:35 pm

Unlike some guys on this board, I still like the NBA, though I lean more towards the college game. But I watch this Celtics-Lakers final, and keep thinking "these are the best two teams in the league?".

A week or so ago, former NBA beat writer Sam Smith was talking to Tony Kornheiser, and in discussing this rematch of legendary NBA teams, Smith said that, when compared to the '84 Celts-Lakers teams, only Kobe would start of the current 10 starters.

He's right. Rondo? Sucks. House? OK. Allen/Garnett? Still decent, but much slowed down. Derek Fisher? Backup. Luke Walton? Same.
Odom? Nice, but not great, and too inconsistent.

One of these teams has to win, but neither will ever be compared to the NBA great teams, or even the semi-greats.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
brownlavender
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: OT: Neither of these teams is very good

Postby brownlavender » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:52 pm

Sorry Mr N. I usually agree with you on most topics but the NBA is crap. It's the finals and it's EXTREMELY tough for me to watch the game. The 24 second clock forces bad shot after bad shot. The defense in the NBA seems to be spotty at best. The foul calls are always sketchy. Traveling doesn't exist. I just don't find the games very easy to watch. Maybe it's because i don't have a real team to cheer for but the games and quality just seem like crap to me.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: OT: Neither of these teams is very good

Postby Mr. Neutral » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:57 pm

I can't really disagree with you, but, as a long-time Bulls' fan, I've got the NBA in my blood.

But this series, and most of the series I've seen this year, have been tough to watch. Physically, the guys are bigger, stronger and more athletic than ever, but where's the shooting? The ballhandling? The post play?

The league needs some great players, not just great physical specimens.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 680 guests