Saturday summer league
-
jct1941
- Posts: 2117
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:16 am
- Contact:
Saturday summer league
Finally got to see Frease, Redford, and Lyons play. Frease and Redford play on Cintas (Cintas has only ONE win) and they are not the best group to be playing with. The posted box score had Frease 5-11 from the field, 1-3 on 3's, 8 reb,2 assists, 2 TO's, and 2 blocks. Redford was 5-10 from the field, 5-8 from three, but had 4 TO's mostly from being trapped and having the ball taken away. Lyons was 3-6 from the field, 4-6 FT's, one assist, 1 block, and THREE steals. So it was Frease 12 points, Redford 15 points, and Lyons 10 points (Lyons plays on Derrick Brown's team). Brown was, as always, the best player in any of the games this day. He 10-14 from the field, 2-3 on threes, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, and 2 steals. He did have three TO's. He totaled 27 points. I think I may have expected a little too much from the new guys, but overall I guess it was not too bad since it was their first game this summer. I am going again Sunday and hope to see Holloway and Walsh. I am sure glad we have six players with experience because we will need them.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Saturday summer league
<<Redford was 5-10 from the field, 5-8 from three, but had 4 TO's mostly from being trapped and having the ball taken away.>>
More confirmation as to why Redford will NOT be playing PG minutes for X, except in a desperation pinch situation.
More confirmation as to why Redford will NOT be playing PG minutes for X, except in a desperation pinch situation.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
Getreal
- Posts: 488
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:36 am
- Contact:
Re: Saturday summer league
Do you really need more confirmation with Holloway,crawford,Lyons on board? Redford will be a 2 and a 2 only.
-
Frambo
- Posts: 273
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 am
- Contact:
Re: Saturday summer league
I was also there today and I agree with jct1941's assessment. I also thought CJ looked good and BJ was more aggressive (but missed many shots)
Brad may not be the pg, but he can nail it from distance. I was very impressed with Lyons - not shy and very quick, especiall on defense. Frease got scratched and banged around, but showed promise rebounding, dunks, a 3. DBrown might blowup big this year!
Brad may not be the pg, but he can nail it from distance. I was very impressed with Lyons - not shy and very quick, especiall on defense. Frease got scratched and banged around, but showed promise rebounding, dunks, a 3. DBrown might blowup big this year!
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Saturday summer league
<<Do you really need more confirmation with Holloway,crawford,Lyons on board?>>
Even before Holloway and Crawford showed up, I thought the idea of Redford at the point was a pipedream. Others seemed to disagree.
Even before Holloway and Crawford showed up, I thought the idea of Redford at the point was a pipedream. Others seemed to disagree.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
Frambo
- Posts: 273
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 am
- Contact:
Re: Saturday summer league
Brad could handle it well enough in most situations to get the offense started. His trouble today was not recognizing a couple traps and getting his pocket picked by some older/stronger guys. He is deadly from long range, which will play a role in his PT.
-
muskienick
- Posts: 1013
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:28 pm
- Contact:
Re: Saturday summer league
I am pretty sure Redford has not had a single minute of D-1 coaching yet. Furthermore, it wasn't necessary for him to be the play-maker (only the play-finisher) for his HS team. I could see where Brad could play the SG position on O and man-up against a like-sized opposing player on the D end (probably against the point). Assuming Lyons, Holloway, Jackson, and Crawford have more experience and ability at PG, Redford could still be used as the SG on the offensive end and get a decent amount of minutes, especially when we need a 2nd or 3rd perimeter shooter in the game.
But who's to say the kid can't learn from Sean Miller how to become an effective PG?
But who's to say the kid can't learn from Sean Miller how to become an effective PG?
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
-
jct1941
- Posts: 2117
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:16 am
- Contact:
Re: Saturday summer league
Brad will get better at knowing when to give the ball up before the traps come, but surely seems to be more of a 2 guard then a point guard. Frambo is dead on about his shot. The only two shots he missed were when he beat his man and tried two "tear drops" that just barely missed (but a miss is a miss). At least 3 of his three pointers were from NBA range and dead on. Hopefully Lyons will play more Sunday in place of Lumpkin or Goins. Lyons is very smooth and looked bigger than his original weight which was listed as 165 lbs.
On a side note - Jamal Walker did the play by play Saturday and was very entertaining. However, he must not follow XU very closely anymore because he acted like he never heard of Redford (Michigan player of the year) or Frease when he said "They tell me Frease plays for X."
Today will be a much better indication of what to expect as it will be their second go around.
On a side note - Jamal Walker did the play by play Saturday and was very entertaining. However, he must not follow XU very closely anymore because he acted like he never heard of Redford (Michigan player of the year) or Frease when he said "They tell me Frease plays for X."
Today will be a much better indication of what to expect as it will be their second go around.
- muskieman
- Posts: 26788
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Saturday summer league
jct the word is sarcasm...listen to JW and you will heard many a sarcastic remark or dig. As for the games I would have loved if they put Brown and Kenny on the same team so we could see how they might react together. Those two might be the along with a Love Brown tandem that might might be the forvce this team needs this year.
As for steals and traps, I am happy to see them push our guys in the summer to show them a taste of how it will be in the regular season. I have seen really good guards their first year in summer league get trapped and lose the ball...the trick is will they learn from it.
As for steals and traps, I am happy to see them push our guys in the summer to show them a taste of how it will be in the regular season. I have seen really good guards their first year in summer league get trapped and lose the ball...the trick is will they learn from it.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 851 guests
