ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
broadripple
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:10 am
Contact:

ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings

Postby broadripple » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:23 pm

Just another list, but this one is kinda interesting. They're ranking the most prestigious basketball programs since 1984-85. Actually they've ranked every team up to #41 so far. I believe they only have the small blurbs starting from 50 down to 1. No XU yet, but from the scoring system they have I would presume Xavier will be ranked pretty high.

Here's the article on #'s 50-41

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3481014
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:06 pm

<<The College of Charleston has only one NCAA tournament win ever (against fifth-seeded Maryland in 1997)>>>

I have to admit that this surprises me. I would have thought that CoC had more than 1 NCAA win.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
tacitus
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:31 pm
Contact:

Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings

Postby tacitus » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:12 pm

T-168. Dayton, Atlantic 10
Let's March!
Wisexuowl
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings

Postby Wisexuowl » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:08 pm

This is gonna be fun, and will make for hundreds of comments.
Having said that, and not knowing what slot we'll fall into, I will say ahead of time that I think there is too many points for a Championship, a runner up, and a Final Four.
I think a 17 point differntial between winning it all and losing the finals of the Elite Eight is too wide.
Too few deductions for being banned, and no deductions for violation take away.
But like I said .. it will make for fun!
MillerTime
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings

Postby MillerTime » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:59 pm

Wisexuowl wrote: I think a 17 point differntial between winning it all and losing the finals of the Elite Eight is too wide.
I disagree. When I think prestigeous, I don't think teams that lose in the Elite 8. I think teams that win it all or F4 several times.

This is really something ESPN has put together to fill the void of sports in mid-July, so take it for what its worth. If X is around the 25, that's about right, but no scale can measure something so subjective...
XLFan
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:21 am
Contact:

Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings

Postby XLFan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:59 pm

The points for having the best record in the MCC during the 80's and early 90's will be huge. Also, having all those twenty winn seasons is nice. I'm thinking Xavier will probably land 20-25. Final guess #22.
MuskieCinci
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings

Postby MuskieCinci » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:07 pm

I had some free time and a media guide, so I attempted to tally up what score Xavier would receive. I ended up with 167, which puts us well ahead of # 41 LSU which had 93 points. 167 should be within at least a couple points of the score they come up with, so I think we should be safely inside the top 25 with a score like that.
CarlosTheJackal
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Contact:

Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings

Postby CarlosTheJackal » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:34 pm

MuskieCinci wrote:I had some free time and a media guide, so I attempted to tally up what score Xavier would receive. I ended up with 167, which puts us well ahead of # 41 LSU which had 93 points. 167 should be within at least a couple points of the score they come up with, so I think we should be safely inside the top 25 with a score like that.
Waay too much free time..at work, perhaps MuskieCinci! :mrgreen: But I can never come down on someone who does the research. They may be worse than damnable lies, but I like em a lot. MH is my favorite all time poster for that reason -- though the scheduling has solved the endless RPI debates.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings

Postby muskieman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:41 pm

CarlosTheJackal wrote:
MuskieCinci wrote:I had some free time and a media guide, so I attempted to tally up what score Xavier would receive. I ended up with 167, which puts us well ahead of # 41 LSU which had 93 points. 167 should be within at least a couple points of the score they come up with, so I think we should be safely inside the top 25 with a score like that.
Waay too much free time..at work, perhaps MuskieCinci! :mrgreen: But I can never come down on someone who does the research. They may be worse than damnable lies, but I like em a lot. MH is my favorite all time poster for that reason -- though the scheduling has solved the endless RPI debates.
Oh great just as we all started forgetting that little war.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Wisexuowl
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: ESPN.com Men's Hoops prestige rankings

Postby Wisexuowl » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:21 pm

I think Muskie Cincy is going to be on target, maybe a couple of notches higher.
This is heady stuff ... to be listed by ESPN as one of the 25th most prestegious programs in the country for the last 23 years is awesome.
Sean and staff will turn this into a monster national recruiting pitch mailer!
And MuskieCincy, many thanks for doing the research. I though about it today, but then took a nap instead.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1000 guests