Ari Stewart question

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
wkrq59
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Ari Stewart question

Postby wkrq59 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:20 pm

J,
Huggins is gone and forgotten. You should be too. UC has a different coach and a different administration, one which fosters the traditional values any university should, i.e., Student first, Athlete second.
Begone Satan.
Eastside_J
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Ari Stewart question

Postby Eastside_J » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:10 pm

wkrq59 wrote:J,
Huggins is gone and forgotten. You should be too. UC has a different coach and a different administration, one which fosters the traditional values any university should, i.e., Student first, Athlete second.
Begone Satan.
You are a one of a kind freaky dude q.

There is always this bleary, saccharine, moralistic, last reel of a Frank Capra film, vibe in your writing.

But it is unique.

Take care.
wkrq59
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Ari Stewart question

Postby wkrq59 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:22 am

Thank God you didn't qualify unique with a most or really...
You'd have been liable for the Sanhedrin.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Ari Stewart question

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:27 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanhedrin

<<Thank God you didn't qualify unique with a most or really...
You'd have been liable for the Sanhedrin.>>

Someone could possibly be found liable while "before" the Sanhedrin, but you couldn't be "liable for the Sanhedrin" any more than you could be "liable for the Supreme Court".

And while I tend to agree with you on "most unique", it is routinely used.
http://men.style.com/gq/features/landin ... ntent_5708
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Ari Stewart question

Postby muskieman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:46 am

Oh not , Gary giving a legal opinion! That is considered billable hours "Q", move quickly and leave no forwarding address!!!
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Ari Stewart question

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:49 am

Nah, it's more of a grammatical comment, so there's no charge.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Ari Stewart question

Postby muskieman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:21 am

Okay when the Repo man comes knocking remember I tried to get you billable hours.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
AlabamaMuskie
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:42 am
Contact:

Re: Ari Stewart question

Postby AlabamaMuskie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:24 am

FYI - for those who even care. I have no idea what this has to do with Ari Stewart and I apologize for wasting your time by making you click on this post. Some of you might find it interesting though.

According to the American Heritage Book of English Usage (Paraphrased and Quoted):

It is hard to see what is out of joint when someone uses 'most unique'. After all, if we were to only use 'unique' according to the strictest criteria of logic, we might freely apply the term to anything in the world, since nothing is wholly equivalent to anything else...It might be easier to recognize that 'unique', like many absolute terms, has more than one sense and can be modified with grace in certain uses.
The former AsuncionMuskie
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Ari Stewart question

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:33 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_J._Kilpatrick

James J. Kilpatrick had a syndicated column on linguistics and grammar that used to run in the Chicago Sun-Times, and one of his continual points was that there are things that may or may not be technically correct, but they are acceptible uses because of either (1) how long they've been used, (2) the fact that they sound or read better than what might be the more correct usage, or (3) the writer/speaker is purposely using more casual grammar.

I remember Alistair Cooke pointing out that the English upper class would purposely use slang like "ain't", not because they didn't know better (they did), but because they just wanted to live on the edge (linguistically) a bit.

That having been said, as a society, our punctuation, spelling and grammar skills are awful, and getting more so every day. It wouldn't kill us to pay a little bit more attention to what goes out under our names.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Ari Stewart question

Postby muskieman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:36 pm

Mr. Neutral wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_J._Kilpatrick

James J. Kilpatrick had a syndicated column on linguistics and grammar that used to run in the Chicago Sun-Times, and one of his continual points was that there are things that may or may not be technically correct, but they are acceptible uses because of either (1) how long they've been used, (2) the fact that they sound or read better than what might be the more correct usage, or (3) the writer/speaker is purposely using more casual grammar.

I remember Alistair Cooke pointing out that the English upper class would purposely use slang like "ain't", not because they didn't know better (they did), but because they just wanted to live on the edge (linguistically) a bit.

That having been said, as a society, our punctuation, spelling and grammar skills are awful, and getting more so every day. It wouldn't kill us to pay a little bit more attention to what goes out under our names.

I always thought I had some English upper class blood running through this Austrian, Sicilian body of mine because the only time I use ain't was to live on the edge. Now ain't that something.

Does everyone find that acceptible or is it acceptable?


Living on the edge!!!
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 849 guests